Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Book Review

I usually don't do book reviews; there are many others who are gifted at that. However, I couldn't resist talking about this one. Recently, my Bible study went through a book called Battling Unbelief written by John Piper.

This little book only has 8 chapters (it's actually a portion of the book Future Grace), which was perfect for my attention span. It deals with battling sin by battling unbelief. Namely, believing what God says in His Word and using His Word to fight sin.

Someone might ask, "But do you really struggle with believing God?" Well, it is easy to tell that I do because I sin. When I sin, I am believing the tempters Words over the Truth of the Bible. This book has helped me in a very practicle way in battling sin and I would love to recommend it to you. I hope to read it again soon.

Here is a review from Justin Taylor who writes for the Between Two Worlds blog:
I've been looking forward to the appearance of this book for years. Multnomah has now published John Piper's book Battling Unbelief. Though I recommend lots of books on this blog, I try not to overuse the term "must have" or "must read." Well this is not one of those times! Quite simply, I think this is some of the best material we have today on sanctification--putting sin to death and trusting in the promises of God in Christ through the power of the Spirit.Future Grace was first published in 1995. It's a thick book (both in terms of content and pages). But sprinkled throughout the book are "application" chapters that take the concept of future grace and apply them to eight broad categories of unbelief: (1) anxiety, (2) pride, (3) misplaced shame, (4) impatience, (5) covetousness, (6) bitterness, (7) despondency, and (8) lust.These chapters are now lightly revised and collected in Battling Unbelief, along with a new introduction. If you can't afford it, skip a meal, shovel someone's driveway--do what you need to do to get your hands on this book.

7 comments:

The Texas VicHorns said...

Hey old friend!

We are now bloggers too...check us out!

-meredith murphy horn

Ashley & Chuck said...

Suzy Q - its been over a month since your last post. I need an update on your life! How's the new job?

The Texas VicHorns said...

ps- I would LOVE to catch you up and tell you all about him. I just posted new pic's of him today if you want to check them out. :)

Anonymous said...

so Suzanne, all your pursuading worked and we created a blog. We are not real good at this but we will give it a try - so check it out:

spiveyplustwins.wordpress.com

Molly

Kelli said...

Tag! You're it, Suzanne (if you want to participate)!
See my blog for details... :)

Anonymous said...

hi all
http://www.tor.com/community/users/smutjelgaru1977
http://www.tor.com/community/users/cirlaucepmo1983
http://www.tor.com/community/users/greatrapdielo1982
http://www.tor.com/community/users/libackrolo1976
http://www.tor.com/community/users/conshasenfca1978

Anonymous said...

Гете жизнь слишком коротка чтобы изучать немецкий язык
!!!